Born and raised in Kampala Uganda, Martha Jabo has always been inspired by her late mother in the field of fashion, right from a tender age. As a result of her mother’s influence on her in this regard, Martha developed a strong love for fashion and Art, which played a big role in turning her dream into a reality.
Martha Jabo pursued a Bachelor’s degree in Industrial and Fine Art from Makerere University, majoring in Fashion design in her final year. Before graduating from University in January 2012, she debuted her first collection at the Afrikan Walk Fashion Awards in Kampala, December 2011.
In January 2012, she founded the Martha Jabo fashion label which is the embodiment of several generations of style rolled into one, with inspiration drawn from vast subjects _and between that time and now she has had the privilege of designing and producing a substantial range of clothing for both men and women (Stocked at Bold Kampala, Acacia Mall) while engaging/participating in a number of fashion events, both local and international.
In December 2012, she showcased at the 5th Edition of Swahili Fashion Week in Dar-es-Salaam and there after gained exposure and recognition as an upcoming designer.
Later on in October 2013, she showcased her Contemporary heritage collection at the first edition of Strut it Afrika Fashion Week in Nairobi, as a result of which her designs were featured in Couture Africa Magazine (one of Africa’s leading Fashion magazines), as well as one of her pieces from that collection being on the cover of the same Magazine for the December –January 2014 issue. This not only created a bigger platform for Martha but also publicized her high level of creativity.
She has also talked about the Fashion industry in Uganda through the media, covering the challenges young designers face and her zeal to promote the Fashion industry in the Country. In addition to that she is mentoring a number of young upcoming designers as well as those who realize their passion for fashion at a later stage in life.
Her work has been recognized all over East Africa and she has become one of the designers to look out for. This has earned Martha several nominations for different awards as well as invitations to various fashion events.
Martha’s major milestones in 2014
• Finalist for the Young Creative Entrepreneur Fashion Award by the British Council
• Kampala Fashion Week
• Appointed as the Creative Director of the Fashion Society of Uganda (A new body that was put in place to promote the fashion industry in Uganda)
• Nominee for East African designer of the year in the Swahili Fashion Week Awards
• Fashion designer of the year (Abryanz Style & Fashion Awards)
FASHION LABEL: MARTHA JABO
SIGNATURE STYLE: CONTEMPORARY HERITAGE
OBJECTIVE: TO CHANGE THE FACE OF THE FASHION INDUSTRY IN UGANDA
The Martha Jabo Fashion Label was founded in January 2012, and between that time and now, the Label has had the privilege of designing a substantial range of clothing while engaging/participating in several fashion shows, both local and international, as well as promoting Ugandan Fashion through the media, covering the challenges Fashion designers face and the zeal to promote the industry.
The Fashion Label is the embodiment of several generations of style rolled into one. In it there is a fusion of hippie sensibilities including modern prints, feminine silhouettes, asymmetric cuts and gorgeous embellishments. These are blended with tulle and ruffles in eclectic colour palettes, with inspiration drawn from different world cultures, Egyptian history, as well as the the Victorian and Edwardian eras, while staying consistent to the label’s arty vision. The label designs high fashion haute couture and ready to wear clothes for the modern woman and man, who enjoy bold pieces that provide directional styling to their wardrobe. It also caters for custom-made pieces.
It mainly targets the high end customer but also caters for other customers.
The Martha Jabo label stocks its ready to wear pieces at BOLD Kampala, 1st Floor, Acacia mall, which is the leading designer outlet in Uganda)
• Afrikan Walk Fashion Awards, 2011
• Swahili Fashion week, December 2012 (Dar es Salaam)
• 2nd Annual Uganda-diaspora gala, December 2012
• Strut it Afrika Fashion week (SIAFW), 28th Sept-6thOct 2013 (Nairobi)
• Couture Africa Magazine (Nairobi) – 2013( December – January 2014 issue) (Cover Page & Fashion spread)
• Afrikan Walk Fashion Awards 2013( Awarded for Best new Fashion Label)
• 3rd Annual Uganda-diaspora gala, December 2013
• Finalist for the Young Creative Entrepreneur Fashion Award 2014 by the British Council
• Kampala Fashion Week, November 2014
• Appointed as the Creative Director of the Fashion society of Uganda.(A new body that was put in place to promote the fashion industry in Uganda)
• Nominee, East African designer of the year (Swahili Fashion Week Awards – Dar es Salaam), 2014
• Fashion Designer of the year 2014 (Abryanz Style & Fashion Awards)
• To change the face of the Ugandan Fashion Industry, and to be a contributor to the growth of this Industry.
• For the brand to be recognized • For the brand to be recognized globally for its exclusive pieces, with retail stores in key cities like New York, Johannesburg, London, Paris, among others
To produce exquisite cutting edge designs for both men and women, worthy of international recognition
“We are a world-class Fashion Design Label that is different and irreplaceable”
The label hopes to grow in size, venturing into other products like shoes, bags, and other accessories, as well as having an International presence. In addition to that, the label will continue to grow in terms of creativity.
The Uganda Diaspora Network is a forum aimed at bringing together Ugandans who live and work abroad by celebrating their contributions overseas and also encouraging them to give of their time, talents, ideas and expertise whilst inspiring the next generation of Ugandan leaders.
Every year the Ugandan Diaspora Network will organize an annual Social Networking Gala and will also produce a quarterly publication highlighting the successes of the various Ugandans residing overseas. Please send us those inspirational stories and philanthropic work involving Ugandans abroad. We shall share these stories using this platform that is rapidly growing and expanding. The Next Diaspora Social Networking Gala will be Held on 30th December 2016 at The Kampala Serena Hotel.